Happy 70th Birthday, Chuck!
March 10, 2010 1 Comment
Chuck Norris is 70 today.
1. Chuck Norris’ real name? That would be Carlos Ray Norris. He was born in Ryan, Oklahoma.
2. Chuck got his nickname after he joined the Air Force and was sent to South Korea. There, he began training in the martial arts.
3. Norris founded his own school of martial art called Chun Kuk Do (“The Universal Way”). Primarily known for its kicking techniques, it mixes elements from various styles.
4. Norris was Steve McQueen‘s karate instructor. McQueen encouraged him to go into acting.
5. Norris’ first acting gig was in a 1969 James Bond spoof starring Dean Martin called The Wrecking Crew. It also featured actress Sharon Tate in one of her last roles before she was murdered.
6. One of Norris’ most famous scenes has to be this fight with Bruce Lee in 1972’s Way of the Dragon. (How awesome is the cat?)
7. There really is a such thing as “Chuck Norris Action Jeans.” Sexy.
8. Norris’ CBS series, Walker, Texas Ranger, ran for 203 episodes. One of its creators was Paul Haggis, who went on to win the Academy Award for Crash.
9. Norris has written several books, including one called Black Belt Patriotism, a novel called The Justice Riders and a self-help guide called The Secret Power Within: Zen Solutions to Real Problems.
via USA Today